2010 Meme

1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?

Went spelunking (Caving) deep underground. Was that in 2010? I think it was.


2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

No, my New Years Resolution was a fail, as usual. I think it had something to do with weight loss and I ended up gaining a bunch of weight this summer after dieting and not losing much the first part of the year. And then I got back on the diet bandwagon but have not yet lost all that I'd gained. And so it goes. And yes, more new year's resolutions for 2011. I'm a sucker.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Friend from knitting group and some acquaintances at Church.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

My maternal grandfather, Peepaw, died last January. I wasn't that close to him, but he's a "close relative" in that sense.

5. What countries did you visit?

The Land of Nod.

6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?

Success losing weight or not gaining weight. Better habits in other areas. And a real bed instead of a mattress on the floor. Is a bed a selfish thing to wish for?

7. What date from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

Getting the test results of Bethany's psych testing and her new diagnosis. That was huge.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Abbi's wedding dress, and getting back on the low carb bandwagon and doing some work on my inner being that is reaping good results.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Massive weight gain due to stupid philosophy of "non-dieting and self acceptance" that I experimented with, that involved legalizing EVERYTHING food-wise and resulted in a couple of months long sugar bender and about 20 extra pounds on my already obese body...and now my knees hurt perpetually and I desperately want to lose it again. And I'm trying.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Fibromyalgia...chronic. But it has been BAD this year. And LOTS of dental pain. Even after the root canal.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

New sewing machine! New phones (My touch 3G) And the Wii for Christmas.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

I have good kids. And I'm proud of myself for finally getting back on the low carb bandwagon as of November 9th or so.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

Mine. This summer. With food.


14. Where did most of your money go?

"My" money (earned from sewing) went towards getting Wes and I new phones.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

I don't have enough energy to get that excited.

16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2010?

Nothing stands out. Although Superman by Five for Fighting continues to resonate with me, especially when people at Church always comment about how patient I am with my kids (esp. B) and her health issues, and I think to myself: "I'm not a saint. I'm just too tired to lose it and fly off the handle."

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

Happier or sadder?--happier

Thinner or fatter?--fatter

richer or poorer?--same

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Read my Bible, read other good books, knitting and sewing and spending time with friends.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Watch TV and read junk literature.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?

I spent Christmas in Church and at home with my family...as usual.

21. How many one-night stands?

I don't have a night stand. Especially not one shaped like the number one. I have a set of shelves next to the mattress on my floor. ;-)

22. What was your favorite TV program?

Bones and Chuck and Big Bang Theory are tied.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

I don't do hate.

24. What was the best book you read?

Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

that Taylor Swift is actually talented. I'd written her totally off, and then I listened to some of her new stuff and really liked it. I've also discovered Paolo Nutini and I hope to purchase some of his music in 2011.

26. What did you want and get?

I wanted to knit myself a lace wool sweater and I did. I'm so proud of my accomplishment.

27. What was your favorite film of this year?
Harry Potter I guess...but that's almost lame to say. Have not seen that many movies.

28. What did you do on your birthday?

I can't remember.

29. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?

Fat people clothes! Whatever I can find at the thrift store.

30. What kept you sane?

Prayer and therapy.

31. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Gerard Butler

32. What political issue stirred you the most?

Health care system overhaul.

33. Who did you miss?

This year I've really missed the fact that I never really knew/have known my cousins. I think that feeling started when I felt so isolated from them all at my grandfather's funeral, wishing I were part of the crowd and feeling left out when I found out later via facebook that everyone went out for drinks and did not invite myself or my siblings...the "outsiders". But then they all grew up together and we were not a part of that so it's understandable.

34. Who was the best new person you met?

Nichole!


35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010:

Several lessons:

My body can't handle carbohydrates. Converts them directly to body fat and does not use them for energy AT ALL. This will never change. I accept that.

The thoughts in my head and how I choose to interpret situations, my life, other people's actions, words, etc. will determine whether I'm happy or sad, empowered or powerless, joyful or embittered. I choose the positive in my daily battle against depression.

Comments

mamajuliana said…
Your doing better than I am, I don't even have the energy to answer at the questions!

I hope you have a Happy New Year and I am joinin' you on that Pascha countdown, sister!
OzarksUSA said…
Hi, I started reading your blog to learn about the Orthodox Church. I didn't know that you have fibro, too! I have fibro (and a host of other things I blog about). lol I hope that you have a low-pain (or pain-free if possible) day. :-)
Keep up the good work, I'm enjoying reading your blog.