Today's Kitchen Work

-B and I got some coconut milk made and now we are brewing coconut milk kefir. A handy hint for kefir grains: Get a little plastic mesh bag (we found the Whole Foods sells a few bulbs of garlic in a sturdy little plastic mesh bag which we carefully cut the top off of, and wash), place rinsed kefir grains in the bag, and sew it up with some white thread. Now you have a kefir grain "tea bag" that can be transferred from one batch to the next without any annoying straining process. Remember to rinse kefir grains under filtered water. Tap water can kill the colony.

-broth going in the crock pot. I use a picked over roasted chicken carcass, and some organic carrots, celery and an onion. I don't even bother to peel the onion or carrots. I just throw it all in the crock pot with some apple cider vinegar (about half a cup) and some salt...a couple of tablespoons. Cover all the filtered water and boil in crock pot for a couple of days, adding more water as needed. By the end, I strain out some seriously rich and dark meat broth and throw the stuff I cooked away.

I meant to make another batch of sauerkraut, but found a history book that I'm reading much more interesting and engaging. ;-)

Comments

Mimi said…
You can't drop a line like that without telling us what the book is...

And, whoot on the productive day!
Alana said…
The Great Upheaval: America and the Birth of the Modern World, 1788-1800 by Jay Winik

Very good read. I'm a nerd.
dhan said…
whether the difference between kefir and yogurt?
Which is better between them?
whether kefir has the same flavor of yogurt?