Overload

I've heard it said that in so many ways we are living in a toxic soup. Think about it. There is air pollution, water pollution, things like chlorine and floride added to our water in unnatural amounts (which is worse for us, bacteria or chlorine? Floride may be good for our teeth but is it bad for the rest of us?), estrogen-mimicking compounds leaching into our water supply from various pesticide run-off sources...

And then there are things like Aspartame. Is it or isn't it a neurotoxin? Red food coloring? Blue food coloring? Yellow? Even something like marshmallows has blue food coloring! Can you believe it! Monosodium Glutamate. Another neuroexcitotoxin. That, along with Aspartame give me a buzz. Am I addicted? I used to be addicted to diet cokes. They still call my name. Or by another name: Crystal Light. It's the ersatz juice I like to pretend I deserve. What am I doing to myself drinking it.

Which is worse, the sugar or the artificial crap used to replace the sugar? That is the question, now isn't it? How about none of the above?

And how about our dairy products. Setting aside the question of whether humans ideally should be eating those, there are the questions about hormones and crap that are pumped into the cows. Don't even get me started on our toxic meat supply. Or our toxic veggie supply. Yikes. Just thinking about it all gives me the heebiejeebies, and a goodly dose of mom-guilt.

And yet, and yet, and yet...there are those who claim we are not sick! But why, all of a sudden, does one in ten persons have fibromyalgia? Why are there suddenly so many autistic kids? The HELL it's not making us all sick! Some are just more sensitive than others.

And the big lie is, that it won't matter, that food has to be cheap. Since when is food supposed to be cheap? And easy? Since when does food NOT take effort? We want it all and we act like we deserve it all with very little effort on our part. What does that say about us as a country?

It's all an overload. And for some of us "sensitives"...the canaries in the mine shaft that we are... things really are proving to be too much. If you are healthy, I advise you to look at those of us who are sick and wonder WHEN it will hit your family. Perhaps it won't be your children. Perhaps it will be your grand children. Or if you are very hale and hearty, your great grand children.

But eventually, this overload of crap, toxicity, poison, hormones, rushing hither and yon in big pollution spewing vehicles, and this nation wide lack of sanity will get you. It will.

Comments

Lauren S. said…
I made the mistake a couple of years ago of reading Kevin Trudeau's Natural Cures....

Let's just say, I feel like a complete nut about food and other things we allow into our bodies now. I don't know if I'm quite as huge of a conspiracy theorist as he is, but by golly, I am a little wacky, and this post summed up what goes on in my head each and every time I go to the grocery store. Or drink tap water. Or go out on a smoggy day. Or when another mom offers my daughter fruit snacks. Or drive by the dairy farms and see all the unhappy cows lined up in their own crap all day.