Bright Monday

I got an appointment to see an allergist...three weeks from now.

After giving my kitchen a thorough and much needed cleaning, I went grocery shopping with my little friend M. This is my last week of babysitting her. We had a good time.

Discovered that the supermarket that used to carry all kinds of sugar free stuff no longer does so. No more sugar free ketchup! Then I remembered that I have a recipe in a whole foods cookbook, so I cell-phoned dh who was taking the day off, and had him read me the recipe...got the necessary ingredients, went home and made: Ketchup! Behold, it is not a mystery that is born in a factory somewhere. You, too, can create the magical flavor that is ketchup in your own kitchen:


6 ounce can of tomato paste
2 tbsp of raw cider vinegar (I used red wine vinegar)
3 tablespoons of water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
pinch of cumin, nutmeg, and black pepper
pinch of stevia extract (I used 1 packet of steviaplus)
1/4 teaspoon prepared mustard (I just gave a small squirt of dijon)

Mix it up and keep in a jar.

p. 262 _The Healing Power of Whole Foods_, by Beth Loiselle

Honestly, I thought this would be some weird "we've been eating health food for so long we forgot what normal food tastes like" ketchup-esque sensation, and was very pleased that it really does taste like ketchup. Who knew?

Then I made homemade low carb meatballs so that when I serve the family their store-bought meatballs this week, I'll have my own so I won't have to break my diet. They turned out really good, too (had to have the ketchup to make the meatballs, donchaknow?) and my dd is going to be disappointed when I tell her these ones are MINE. Now that I know, perhaps next time I'll make homemade meatballs for all of us.

I also made some yeast buns for the first time ever using cabquick, and those turned out nice, too. Goes well with the sugar free Nutella-type stuff called "Twist" that I bought for my pascha basket.

After breaking my diet yesterday for the paschal feast, I've decided that I really don't care for bread all that much anymore. Seemed too dry.

I'm grateful that I have so much energy today.

And for new readers to my blog: Welcome. I'm on a doctor perscribed diet to control severe hypoglycemia and fibromyalgia. It is doing wonders for me.

Comments

Mimi said…
Indeed, He Is Risen!

Yum, the homemade ketchup sounds lovely.