Glossanoitolalia

I made that word up.  The greek word roots for tongue, speak, and fool.

You know, you have heard it:  A person addressing a small child or a very very elderly person in a slightly loud, slightly slow, sing songy condescending way?

That's what this word means.  Doing that.

People with expressive langue deficites also get spoken to in this way sometimes.

Such as people with autism or people with brain injuries.

Just because someone is slow of speech or aphasic does NOT mean they can't comprehend or are slow of thought.

We must be very careful how we speak to others.

For the most part most people are so good and I do believe that this speech pattern is unconsciously done in response to a person who is slow to speak or having difficulty.

This has been on my mind today because I see it happening to Wes and my wifey-bear self roars to life to defend him.

That is all.

Comments

elizabeth said…
hard that, :( Lord have mercy.