Tooth Soap and other goodies.

One of the things I'm doing this year is striving to kick consumer products to the curb and make as many of my "body products" as possible with home-made food grade ingredients.

Today I made some tooth soap. I found the recipe at this site: http://homesteadwannabes.blogspot.com/2010/11/homemade-tooth-soap-recipe-healthy.html

(Sorry, I tried a bunch of times to create a working link, and although I got a working link lower down in the article, for some reason this one just ain't cooperating.)

The tooth soap contains a wee bit of Dr. Bonner's Peppermint Castile Soap, some peppermint essential oil, coconut oil, xylitol and boiling water.

It is easy and very quick to make in the blender. I put my tooth soap into a jar at first but then I found a pump bottle which I thoroughly washed. Now my tooth soap is neatly in a pump. Bethany also wanted some in her bathroom, so the rest of the jar is in there.

I've read that tooth soap can be good for the enamel and also help one to get whiter teeth.

Oh, and I also went "no poo" a couple of weeks ago. Now, instead of shampoo, which has some objectionable ingredients in it, I clean my hair with a solution of baking soda and water, and rinse with a milk vinegar solution. This leaves my hair very soft and clean.

Oh, and then there's the "Pit Paste", as I like to call it. Recipe here. I did not bother making it into a stick. What I do instead is have it in a very shallow cute little canning jar that I found at the store. I can easly get a finger tip full from that a put it where it belongs. This recipe works well for me. People's body chemistry varies, so you might have different results. My dh, on the other hand, is able to use just a good alcohol rub down...I tried that but was still stinky after. I think it's because he lives at his desk, whereas I am up and about...either that, or I'm just more of a stinker than he is. ;-)

It's fun to go through my household and ask: What am I using/consuming thoughtlessly just because it is available for me to use/consume? What did people do before X was invented? So many of the things we take for granted these days are a created need, and not a real need. So many of these things that we don't even think about pollute the environment and our homes and bodies, making us ill and unable to love one another as we ought. Yeah, I'm not ready to give up my toilet paper yet...and I will be enjoying one of those nice "Pine Mountain Fake-o-burn Instalight" logs in my firplace tonight and I still puffyheartlove my kitchen-aid.

Sighs.

Comments

Laura said…
I like your thoughts! My husband and I are struggling with many of these ideas as well. I haven't convinced him to make our own toothpaste yet, though. He doesn't use soap or shampoo any more either. I'm not there yet...