Christmas Dinner Plans

What's on your table for Christmas dinner?

Really, I need ideas. I have none. Meat obviously. The family wants pork chops. Meh, whatever. Me, I want effortless. We might order meat pizzas. Really.

Often in the past I've done the frozen lasagna thing, with much approval, but I'm off carbs so lasagna is off the menu. (yeah, I've tried subbing various veggies for the noodles. Not to be tolerated. Especially eggplant, an otherwise delectable veggie. It gets rendered nasty when asked to become an ersatz nooodle.

So what else should I make for Christmas?

As a buffet at breakfast: Summer sausage, sausages, fancy cheeses, cookies, eggs, etc.

Christmas cookies.
Some sort of low carb dessert.
Pork chops with cinnamon apples
Salad
Baked mashed potatoes (do them in advance and then heat them up in the oven)
Croissants
apple cider
roasted mushrooms and cauliflower.

So, it looks like I'll be in the kitchen. Oh well. All in the name of love.

What's on your Christmas table?????

Comments

Monica said…
Corn Beef (in the crockpot)
Mashed Potatoes
Sausage-Stuffed Mushrooms
Artichoke Spinach Mushroom Pie


If we were with my parents, though, it would definitely be a huge pot of Christmas Gumbo, which always tastes better the 2nd day and thus would get you out of the kitchen :)
elizabeth said…
I have no idea as I am at my parents house but the ideas you listed sound great.

my new favorite is roasted root veggies ... so I guess that would be my suggestion... (blogged about it here FYI) ...

(http://eroosje.blogspot.com/2010/12/this-thursdays-end.html)

Good for you for keeping to your diet! Not easy but you can do it!!
gemma said…
boneless rib roast, garlic mashed, wild rice and corn casserole, grean beans, onion cheese casserole, squash, mushrooms, wine reduction sauce. Whew. glad I'm not cooking. There will be 17 and there are never any leftovers. I haven't hit the appetizers and deserts but they are plentiful as well.
Anonymous said…
Consider BEETS for the pasta substitute! They have kind of a no-taste that goes so well with a tomato base, and they do not mushify!
Genevieve said…
We always have ham... in times past, we did the formal dinner with ham, cream potatoes, peas, rolls, etc. Now my uncle bakes the ham and then sets out a buffet for sandwiches: all kinds of breads (rye, sourdough, wheat, etc), mustards, cheeses, etc. Then we have three bean salad and ambrosia salad with it. Simple, easy, yummy.
Matushka Anna said…
Whew.

Honey Ham
Rolls
Cheese Rice
Asparagus
Red Velvet Cake
Mississippi Mud

(The ham will turn into sandwiches for supper that night after Vespers.)

Plus I'm making something to take to church for after Christmas Liturgy and something for coffee hour on Sunday after Liturgy. I told Father that we're having leftovers Sunday night. I will be SO sick of cooking! (c;
We will be visiting both my parents and my in-laws.

An interesting treat I'll be taking is called

Ginger Snaps and Gorgonzola cheese.

Recipe: Top snaps with a bit of Gorgonzola cheese. Devour.