She Reads History Books for Fun on a Saturday Night

Last night Wes and I browsed Books-A-Million in search of a gift for our daughter who is turning ten next week. I always tend to gravitate towards the history section whenever I'm in a bookstore, and yesterday was no exception. I'd picked up a book about the history of the World by some renowned British scholar last time I'd been in a bookstore, and much to my chagrin now, did not buy it. I wish I had, as I can't for the life of me remember the title, author or publisher. I was one of those magnum opus types of books, although it may have been published by Penguin.

But in the process of browsing the history section searching for another copy of that lost book, I found one called The Great Upheaval: America and the Birth of the Modern World 1788-1800.

Perfect. Just perfect. It's the era of the birth of the American Republic from a world history perspective. American History and World History rolled all in one.

Having learned my lesson, I bought the book.

Now I'm going to go read it. Just for fun.

P.S. The book I picked up, browsed, and did not buy MIGHT have been A Short History of the World by John M. Roberts. But the cover was different than the Amazon version. It was a red book. Sigh.

Comments

Anna said…
Both are great books! :-) Though I have not read them, I page flipped at the library.

~A
elizabeth said…
I hate when that happens! You may ask the public library if they can help by looking up titles to see what it is...

Let us know if you find out!
Jenny said…
Check out The Armada by Garrett Mattingly. What a book. . . .