I Like to Think I'm Tough! She's Really Good at Whining

Yesterday, when I was in Nicholasville, I was eating dinner at Bob Evans' Restaurant (the Chicken Pot Pie was very yummy!) and while I was eating that delectable pie, what should happen to me, but my rear lower left molar broke. It broke!

It did not hurt much at first, but this morning when I got up, I was having pain up into my ear, my jaw was hurting and my whole body felt "off". So I headed to Immediadent, the brutal barbarian dentist that is open from nine to nine seven days a week, walk-ins welcome!

Now, I've had braces (the assistant orthodontist was Turkish and had strong garlic breath), a root canal and some major fillings and I've even-by those barbaric Swiss government sponsored school dentists-had cavities drilled with no anesthesia-but today was dentally ROUGH.

I had a novel to read, so the long wait was not so bad. But then the waiting room chair had an ill-designed seam in the middle of the seat cushion and it made my butt hurt. Perhaps my dentally traumatized self was more sensitive to pain?

And then the dentist chair was making my lower back hurt. And I was in it for a LONG time.

It being the very back molar, and my mouth being rather smallish, it was tough having four instruments in it at the same time. Did I mention my over active gag reflex? It was not taking any breaks today and at one point I sat up and just spewed a whole wad of dental equipment out of my mouth. Saliva soaked cottons flying everywhere.

The X rays were painful, and buggered up my gums. The multiple shots of numb stuff they gave me made my heart race (epinephrin), and hurt worse than usual, and then my very numb tongue kept getting in the way of what they were doing back there with their little forest of instruments and gaging devices.

After getting drilled, the assistant screwed up the filling, had to chip it out, and do a do-over.

The, she built up the filling too high and had to drill it down. And drill it down some more, and some more and some more...etc.

I went in at 9:30.

At 1:30 pm I came staggering out. Hungry. High on meds. Sore. Aching. Woozy.

I called Wes and said I couldn't drive home, but there was a Bob Evans' (feels like coming full circle) across the parking lot, could he meet me there?

So I went in there. I needed food. Perhaps more Chicken Pot Pie! The crowd was spilling out the door. Sunday at lunch time. Go figure. So I went back out to the car. Called Wes to tell him I was coming home and whapped my head really hard on the car as I was getting back in. He could hear the whap over the phone. I started crying. It hurt.

He told me NOT to drive, he was on his way. So I sat. And waited.

Finally my Knight in Shining Armor arrived and took me to Steak 'n Shake. After a meal, I felt way way better.

Now that my numb stuff has worn off, I know they mangled the side of my tongue pretty good, too. My gums are really in bad shape from the work, since the break was below the gum line on one side and they had to cram the band on really deep to place the filling in there.

Ouch.

I cried. I wanted Ice cream. And I remembered how, when I was little and had to go to the barbaric Swiss denitst, my mom would buy me a present afterward.

Ah, Anbesol! And Ibuprofen. I think it's time for another dose.

Comments

k said…
Mercy! So glad you got through all that. I decided several years ago that for any future dental issues I'm just getting them yanked. I've gotten two back molars pulled out since then (instead of more fillings, or root canals), and couldn't be happier. But it's because of the shape of my tiny mouth that I can do this; none of the back teeth show at all when I smile or talk. I'm little younger than you, and I dread the future where teeth sometimes simply start breaking off!
Athanasia said…
OMG!!! That was absolute butchery! How could they do that to you??

Whining? Absolutely not hon! You are not whining at all and deserve ice cream for the next year.

Your Knight In Shining Armour deserves ice cream for a year too! God bless him!
wendylf said…
I'll be praying for you, I can relate, just had a root canal done 2 weeks ago and yucky procedures, too!
I'll pray for quick healing and no more breaks!
Blessings,
Wendy
elizabeth said…
oh man! that is no fun at all!!! glad your beloved could come... I can just imagine how sore you would feel sitting all that time... My mouth is small too and I find the opening my mouth hard...

feel better soon and hope you never have to go through that again! *hugs*

oh - and I do not think it was whining as much as relating what happened...
Anonymous said…
Blegh, that sounds awful! So glad you survived! Ice-cream well deserved...
Kristen said…
I know how you are feeling. I woke up on Sunday to find that my back tooth has rotated half sideways. It hurts so bad and I can't bite anything. Unfortunately we can not afford dentist so I am just praying that I am soon out of pain.
Anna said…
Mmmph...how very sad and painful!
NoReply said…
ermmm... wouldn't it have been less painful to have the tooth removed?

ps big careful hug with hot chocolate heading your way x
Amber said…
Definately not whining! You're very tough to put up with all that. :)
Mimi said…
Yikes, Yikes, Yikes! My prayers.
Unknown said…
So sorry to hear "the rest of the story". Your youngest told us that the only other time she had been to Bob Evans was after last year's house fire. I realize none of this is the restaurant's fault, but I think I'd feel disinclined to return! :-) I hope you are completely recovered soon.
Pres. Kathy said…
Hope you feel better soon! I hate tooth aches.