Book Review: Straight Up, by Lisa Samson

I don't normally do book reviews on this blog. But I promised I would, so here goes: Straight Up by Lisa Samson can definitely be categorized as Christian fiction, but it's a different sort of Christian fiction from the normal, smarmy and preachy fare that I at least associate with the genre.

The story features several very interesting characters: an alcoholic Jazz musician, some radical Christians living their faith close to the streets, transformation, surrender and some really good cobbler and perhaps a surprise ending. The plot is anything but formulaic (which is refreshing, to say the least) and the prose is brilliant.

The brain bender for me in all this, is that the book is set in my corner of Lexington, KY. How cool is THAT? By the end of the book I felt like I should be able to put on my sneakers, walk a mile and meet the characters in their haunts.

I was up very late at night turning the pages of this book by Lisa Samson. It's one that somehow preaches without being preachy. And coming from me, that's a big compliment.

Here's a link to the author's blog: Author Intrusion

Comments