Phood Philosophy

Diets: I've tried them all. And it's amazing how snippy people can get when their favorite plan of food control is attacked.(For instance, I hate weight watchers. Will always hate weight watchers. that might be a fun post for the future. But many people I know swear by it and love it and consider it to be a gift from God. OK, who am I to argue?) So I've learned to keep my mouth shut. I've read so many articles on nutrition that I could practically have a degree in the subject, and while I know what works for me, I am not about to say what works for someone else.

And how does one define a healthy diet? Everyone has their own ideas. I consider my diet to be healthy. I eat my fruits and veggies, much of them raw, I eat whole grain cereals and breads as long as they are sugar free (except for the occasional slice of lovely sourdough from Pannera which IS sugar free but not whole grain), I moderate my fat intake, but drink whole milk and eat cheese....and I absolutely don't. eat. sugar. I even make my own ketchup and occasionally mayonaise to avoid sugar. I do focus on protein snacks and making that the central core of my main meals. But I don't eat low carb. The only magic there, I believe, is insulin control (which is imperative as that is the fat storage hormone) and therefore appetite control. Low GI foods can still control insulin, especially when combined with portion control. My theory is, if I"m not overeating, there won't be any extra calories for my supposed lack of insulin to have to deal with. And I don't go out of my way to seek out organic foods, but occasionally some will end up in my fridge. And shock of shock, I've been known to use artificial sweeteners on occasion. So, it that healthy or not? I feel healthy. My health is improving. My body is looking and feeling thinner, stronger, more energetic, more creative, etc. So it must be working for me.

This idea of "never going hungry"...I don't buy into it. I think it's normal to go hungry for a bit each day. Like, at 10:30 am, when lunch time is approaching, it's OK to have a growly tummy for half an hour. Not gonna make me die!

Now, going hungry for hours on end, that's silly. Starving yourself: that's silly. Ignoring hunger pangs to the point you're getting beee-otchy: silly. Being guilt ridden over a late night snack when you know you are still under your daily theoretical calorie burn: silly. Finding false virtue in certain foods being "good" and other foods being "bad": silly. The way I see it, it's all about choices. And I get to own my own choices and the consequences of them. If I do eat sugar, say, at Easter, I can do it knowing it will give me GI problems, make me feel cruddy, etc. What a way to celebrate, eh?

Choices. It's all just choices.

So, what YOUR food philosophy? Is it working for you or do you want to make changes?

Comments

Mimi said…
I eat vegetarian, and try to eat as much local, organic, and fresh as we can.

The calorie counting is the first "diet" I've ever been on. My biggest philosophy, though, is to not deprive yourself of what you want - have a piece of candy or cake, just make it small.

Oh, and following the church's guidelines to the best of my ability.
Mimi said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
My philosophy is: everything in moderation.

I eat a lot of fish and chicken. Occasionally I'll have a hamburger for the red meat but don't care for steak and prime rib, etc. I need the protein to not get light-headed.

I am careful with milk products since I am lactose intolerant.

I also try to eat low fat since the cholesterol is climbing but I contribute that to medication I am on not due to weight since I am under the weight limit for my height.
Susan said…
Ive been on weight watchers so many times that they have a whole drawer in their file cabinet dedicated to me. I do well for a few weeks and then go off.
I agree that whatever works for the individual is best for the individual. I am on the calorie counting diet Mimi wrote about. I believe it was first from you.
It seems to be the easiest to follow. I dont feel hungry much. Late afternoon is my biggy.
"Everything in moderation" is written at the Oracle of Delphi in Greece.
The Greeks (mostly) try to live by that philosophy. In food, drink and everything else.
I, like you, could write a book on dieting. I have also bought about a trillion diet books. The one Mimi recommended is working for me.
Ive been on it 5 weeks and have lost 10 pounds.
I do believe you must be so ready to change your eating habits.
Otherwise it doesnt work!
Alana said…
IMO Calorie Queens is the best approach I"ve ever tried because it's just eating sensibly. It's not a diet.

What astonishes me is that I never really knew what the word moderation meant. I had no working practical definition of it to apply to my real life. Moderation was whatever my whim at the moment was: nine cookies, and call it moderation?

I still do best when I measure things. Because somehow the "stop now" gene is defective here.
Xenia Kathryn said…
When I was pregnant I was gaining weight too quickly, so I "fasted" from sugar for a month. I had to deprive myself of it in order to re-learn what moderation was. When a certain unhealthy food becomes a passion or a bad habit, I found it useful to abstain for a while until I could appreciate it in moderation again.
nivchek said…
I used to eat all heath-food-storish, until I realized that the guilt from the expense of it was practially making me anorexic. So my food philosophy is: eat! My husband could definitely stand to put on some pounds, and I don't believe in magazine-cover skinniness. Another thing I have to watch, tho, is getting enough salt. No, you didn't read that wrong, I lose salt rapidly on hot days, and not replacing it leaves me dizzy and dehydrated, unable to retain enough water. nuff sed
Anonymous said…
I an interested in the home made ketchup and mayo...do you have a recipe you could pass on?