Looking Towards Lent

Today Wes came home from radiation treatment and told me he only has 8 treatments left!  Next time he goes in, they will recalibrate, and focus the beam on a smaller area on his head. 

After the radiation is over it is over, and he will not be eligible for this type of treatment anymore.  His chemo dose will change to maintenance, and then the scary part happens. 

I feel like this part of it...these early days, with him not having side effects from the chemo...have been our reprieve. 

It is easy to pretend, almost, that things are normal. 

On March 5 he is scheduled for his MRI and about a week later we will meet with the neurosurgeon to hear the results:  What did the treatment do so far.  After that, it's monitoring his condition every three months or so, and continuing to take maintenance chemo. 

His tumor is in an inoperable spot.  If it grows into a more accessible area, they will at least be able to get to that. 

Of course the MRI might just show that he's been healed. 

We don't know.  We don't know anything yet. 

Just grateful he's feeling OK for now, and that he's able to drive again. 

That's the update.  These are early days yet.

God is our only true hope, because all any of these treatments are doing is buying him a wee little bit more time.  When I stop to think about it, I am incredibly afraid and sad. But somehow I'm also numb and I can't seem to cry much anymore, even though I think it would do me a world of good. 

March 5 is the first week of lent.  Our Lenten journey will be defined by that MRI and what it tells us. 

Lord have mercy on me a sinner. 

Comments

Mimi said…
Thank you for the update. Words fail to impress upon you how heavily you are on my heart and in my thoughts and fervent prayers.
Love
elizabeth said…
Lord have mercy; we are praying.
Matushka Anna said…
Continuing to pray!
Curly Carol said…
Continuing to see Wes, as well as you, healed and whole. And so it is! Amen