Better Than Store Bought Gluten Free Bread

So as not to impinge any particular brand of GF bread (the taste of which my family loves but not so much the price tag at six dollars per loaf), I did not cite the brand in the title of this blog post.

At any rate, I have started making GF bread for my family. The first batch was a bit dry and crumbly, and so I modified the recipe in more than one way. The results was a soft, springy and non-crumbly loaf. Everyone was happy.

This is enough dough to make two small (5.5x7.5inch) loaf pans plus four tuna cans...which is what I use to make GF hamburger buns. So you get two loaves of bread which are the same size as the six dollar store bought loaves plus four buns (which cost about six dollars for I THINK four, but maybe six...but I think it's actually four)...so that's eight teen dollars of bread products that I have made for much less than that.

I buy my GF flours at the local Asian market. I buy big bags of rice flour and big bags of potato starch (tapioca starch works too, they just have not had it in a while), and I do a 50/50 blend of this, and that is my mix. This costs me $1.67 per pound.

Obviously there is a small additional cost for the other ingredients, but (according to a quick google search) four cups of flour is one pound. So this recipe takes 1.25 pounds of flour. That's $2.08. Lets generously round the cost of the rest of the ingredients up to make this batch a three dollar expenditure. Lets say the electricity costs us another dollar. That's four dollars...for what would have been an $18.00 expenditure at the grocery store.

Considering this take about ten minutes of my actual hands-on time to make (no kneading), this is very very much worth doing.

So, here's the recipe:

5 cups of Gluten Free flour blend (50/50 rice flour and potato starch in my case)
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon xanthan gum or 1/2 Tablespoon guar gum
2 Tablespoons dry yeast
2 teaspoons salt
2 large eggs
1/4 cup oil
2 teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
2 2/3 cups warm water

Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix with a spoon. Add wet ingredients and blend with a mixer on high for 3 minutes until you have a light and smooth batter...this dough should be soft and pourable but not totally runny. If it is stiff enough for you to roll out, you will get a crumbly loaf.

Pour into sprayed small pyrex loaf pans and 4 sprayed tuna cans or burger bun molds, or other baking dish as you desire. Each loaf pan should be between 1/2 and 2/3 full.

Set on back of pre-heating oven and allow to rise for about 30 or 45 minutes. Do not let it overflow your pans.

Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes. check the smaller buns and remove them after about 20 minutes, or when a toothpick comes out clean.

Remove from pans (they release very easily) and allow to cool on a cooling rack for slicing ease. If you MUST eat it hot, you won't be sorry, but you will have to make more sooner. ;-)

Comments

Jules said…
very cool!