Adventures with my Stupid Tooth: Edited Verson due to TMI complaint

In the past few years I've had two root canals and two crowns put into my mouth. This makes a total of three (yes, weak teeth is another one of those celiac things, apparently). And crowns are not cheap. In fact, I was in pain for over a year because I needed TWO root canals and could only affford to do one per year. But all that is in the past now.

Well, a week ago, I had made a crock pot fudge lava cake for my dd's sleepover, and while I was eating a small portion of that gooeyness, I lost one of my crowns. This was the SECOND time this particular crown had come loose, much to my dentist's astonishment. It's rare to lose them once. It's ultra rare to lose them twice.

I'm ultra-rare, but we already knew that, now didn't we?

So, the crown was gone.

Down the hatch. And as the saying goes, what goes in, must come out.

So, I waited upon it's joy-filled returned to the land of daylight.


Today, I took it to the dentist to sterilize and re-insert. I asked them what they did, and she said: "Soak it in bleach for 10 minutes and then in this stuff that will KILL ANYTHING in on minute, but we leave it in for ten."

OK, I feel better now. It's no longer the "poopy tooth" , it is now the DEATH TOOTH. Or perhaps we can call it the "Crown of Death". Yeah, I like that name.

At any rate, I thought it would be a quick "squirt some cement on it and stick it back in" procedure, but NO.

The inside of my crown had to be scored, and also, apparently my tooth stub.

How, you ask, does the dentist score a tooth stub?

Using a SAND BLASTER, of course. No lie. I'm not exaggerating.

It was all on an itty bitty scale...but it was, indeed, a sand blaster and they were squirting sand into my mouth.

It was like a dust storm, followed by a hard rain (the rinsing), and when the tech accidentally blew air down my throat, that was the tornado.

Bad weather in my mouth today.

It was a bit more involved that I had anticipated it being, but the crown of death is firmly cemented back into my jaw...until it comes loose again, I guess.

An those, my friends, have been this week's adventures with my stupid tooth.

At least there was no actual PAIN involved.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I like your blog, I appreciate your honesty and "keeping it real," but this was too much information.
Alana said…
My apologies! I edited this post.
Rebecca said…
So glad that at least there was no pain involved.
How thoroughly unpleasant. I do hope there will be NO more canals or crowns!
Katia Craig said…
Good thing you aren't scared of dentists. Undergoing two root canals must be though. It's nice that you endured both. I just hope your crown doesn't get loose for a 3rd time.:P
Laura said…
after having having trawled through my son's poop for a marble, I can only imagine what the unedited version was like :) I hope third time's the charm with this crown.