A Journey Towards Health

So, I went back to the doctor to talk about how my mono recovery is going and basically: It's not. I'm still sick. On top of that, me and all the kids (well, I think there might be one who has not succumbed yet) have really bad cough/congestion type colds. I'm hoping a week will see us recovered from those.

But the mono: It's been four months now, and it is STILL WITH ME, according to the bloodwork.

Clearly I'm not resting enough. I need to figure out a way to massively change my lifestyle for the next how-ever-long, so that I can get over the mono.

What else can I do? Healthy eating: doing it. Plenty of water: doing it. Exercise: Avoiding it as I am supposed to be at this time.

All this makes losing weight seem sort of funny right now. But ironically, I AM slowly losing weight. I figure if even through this adversity I can manage to change my eating habits for the better, it's only to the good.

It's really difficult to force myself to be still and NOT exercise. I want to be so much more active than I am able to be. But whenever I do ANYTHING at all, my spleen hurts.

In fact, I went and had my spleen ultrasounded on Monday. I'm still waiting for the results of that particular test. Is it bruised? Swollen? Why's it hurting? I don't know yet.

So having a nasty, massive head/chest cold this week is sort of a blessing because it's forcing me to rest, rest and rest some more. Like I ought to be doing for the mono.

I don't think it's possible for a human to eat any healthier than I'm eating. Really. I've made "all those" changes. So that's going along. What else is there that I can do, but rest and pray and eat healthier and then as I'm recovered add exercise to my life?

It seems so easy to take our health for granted. I think society often sends the message that if we are fat and obese it is our fault, and we can do everything we need to do about it to get better. But I say this: I did not set out to become fat and obese. The problem was, I did not figure out, heretofore, how to live my life so that I would NOT become fat and obese. I didn't do it on purpose, but merely failed to prevent it... but hopefully in finding the solution to this problem, I will find the solution to its future prevention as well.

Meanwhile, I need to find out how to recover from having mono. It's all the same: A journey towards health. I wish it were simple but instead it's this incredibly complicated thing.

Comments

elizabeth said…
I'm sorry to hear about your struggle :( Have you gone to a naturopath at all about it? Of course Holy Water and after liturgy phrosfora (spelling?) is good...

seeking to keep you in my prayers... and sending you some HUGS...
Genevieve said…
Alana, I wanted to let you know that I have been given the privilege of awarding a new blog award to you for "Keepin' It Real." Matushka Anna from Praying With My Feet created it and awarded it to me. I am so glad to pass it on to you. I so appreciate your honesty about your life and your struggles. You inspire me in so many ways. You truly do. So, if you feel so inclined, please post the award on your blog. You can get it off my site: Recovering Pessimist or Matushka's blog as well. God Bless you!!