Grateful

Why am I ALWAYS sick? I've had this cough for a week and a half now, and tomorrow I'm going to find a doctor. If my regular doc can't fit me and the kids in, we'll find an Urgent Treatment Center because...drumroll...now it feels like bronchitis.

Of course, I'm sick. I have mono. Still. Blood tests confirmed it recently, blardy-dar.

So of course it's harder for my poor body to fight off a cold. And the cold going around is a doozy. And now, it is just sitting in my brochial area, and it just aches and I cough and cough and cough.

So, these are the challenges I've been facing.

And my new Weight Watchers pedometer went through the wash. I'm hoping I can rescue it by letting it sit in a jar of rice for a few days. The rice will help dry out the electronic components and hopefully it will restore it to functionality. I've heard it can work for cell phones, so surely it will work for a measly pedometer.

Other than that, what else is going on? Sure have been laying low a lot lately, thanks to illness. I really would like to "go and do" more...ah, today I had to take Wes to the dentist, since he needed some Valium and some laughing gas to get through it all, so I had some time and I found a thrift store, and scored some sweet lace trimmed flannel pillowcases and a couple of Battenberg Lace shams. Yay! While I was there I got really nauseous and sick feeling. Probably because I was over doing it since I'm, like, sick with about three things right now.

And I SO wish I could just focus on doing nothing but lose weight. Like the contestants on the Biggest Loser (Congrats to Olivia, the winner!). But I can't. The fact that I'm losing anything at all right now is a freakin' miracle of grace from God. I'm tellin' ya.

But I'll take it. ANY movement in the downwards direction is to be celebrated.

I can already tell a difference in how easy it is to live in my body, and I'm still in the 230's. But I'm here to say, it sure as heck beats being in the 240's. Even just the little bit I've lost has made a huge difference in how easy it is to do certain things, and my knees don't hurt like they used to. I'm SO GRATEFUL for that.

I'm grateful. That's how I'm feeling these days. Grateful to be on this journey. Grateful to be able to rest when I need to rest (which is often) and grateful for each day that I get through, and grateful to be eating REAL FOOD, in NORMAL quantities and grateful for the new Weight Watchers program that is so easy to stick with and that is teaching me new eating habits. And even though I'm sick, I'm grateful for the things I'm learning through all this.

Comments

Rebecca said…
I'm so sorry you've been feeling so under the weather!

But a big thumbs up on the decreasing numbers on the scale! I'm looking forward to feeling up to moving my body to help my numbers to go down. I about wanted to cry when I came home from the hospital to discover that I went up 12 pounds in the 24 hours I was there ... and they took stuff OUT! LOL

Get to feeling better!
Rebecca
wel great description maam...good to know that you have taken your illness as a phase of learning procedure...keep it up..and yes..get well soon...
mamajuliana said…
Keeping you in prayer...

Learning on the journey is important. Thank you for reminding me of that.
elizabeth said…
Hang in there! I have found that being grateful can save my sanity and bring hope in times of great trial. love to you...
Pearl said…
You're doing so well, Alana! I'm working on sorting out my own dodgy eating habits at the moment, and I know that activity is not only a good way of burning calories, but also keeping me busy and distracting me from food. So the fact that you're still losing while having to do all that resting is super-impressive. I hope that the mono and the cough get sorted out soon, but it's great to hear you sounding so positive. Keep going, lady! (Oh, and I dropped my mobile phone in the dog's water bowl last week. Two days in a tub of rice sorted it out!).
Matushka Anna said…
Keep it up! Every bit counts! I hope you are feeling better soon. (And I'm happy I can finally comment!)
Anonymous said…
You know, you're inspiring me. I have somewhat less weight to lose than you do, but what have I done lately? The usual fretting and self-condemnation, but actual losing of weight? Nope. You are struggling and have all this mono and junk to deal with, but your weight is slowly going down. Mine isn't. So you're helping me to try to get serious about just making some manageable changes, do some moderate exercise *regularly* (that's the key). I mean, even to see 10 or 15 lbs. go away would be great. And I have to take meds for blood pressure. I can't stand the fact that high BP hasn't even motivated me enough to lose some weight, which I'm sure would make a big difference.

Someone once said something like, "do not despise the day of small beginnings"!