Has it only been 19 days? Really? ONLY 19 days? It seems like I've been wearing these brown dresses forever.
Not that that's a bad thing. A bit boring, yes, but anxiety free. I did not realize how much clothes angst I live with, until I decided to go without...not without clothes, LOL. THAT would get me arrested and would blind people with my magic superpowered ugliness death rays. But without the choices that plague me normally.
Now, I know that choices don't plague everyone. (Yum this Venti decaf Cafe Americano with Sugar Free Caramel syrup that I got with a Starbucks gift card I won at my chiorpractor's office sure is tasty...just thought I'd share.) But they do plague me. Clothing choices, that is. And sometimes Starbucks....talk about an icon of American Consumerism. What is it I'm drinking, again? But I digress...
So, I'm 19 days in. I like the simplicity. Sometimes I feel a tiny bit awkward, but then I remember that strangers at the store don't know I've worn the same 2 identical dresses for 19 days running. So, to them I look normal.
And the people I care about? Well, they all know about my project and are supportive, or at least polite enough to not laugh at me to my face. A friend at knitting group last night said it doesn't seem like I'm wearing the same thing over and over, since I always have some color around my neck or face. Hmmm. I think I've rotated between only four different scarves in these 19 days. I have not worn any sweaters, jackets or cardigans because it's been WARM and Indian Summer-like. In fact, on several days I've been a bit hot in the brown dress. But I soldier on despite the weather.
What have I learned:
1. That I need to massively simplify my wardrobe when this project is over.
2. That if I could find a way to make wearing a brown dress a weight loss plan, that Icould market it and get rich. Hardy har har har...that's a running joke.
3. That what's on my body has nothing to do with the state of my soul.
4. Perhaps it's the novelty, perhaps the simplicity or the sameness, but this is a lesson in setting my mind on heavenly things, not on earthly things, in a very small way that is.
5. Albeit with a massively simplified and much smaller wardrobe, I think I'll enjoy having a few different things to wear when this month is over.
6. But so far, I think the brown dresses are going to remain a huge favorite of mine.
7. That I am more myself or more at home with myself in these two brown dresses than anything I've worn in years. I can't even think of anything that compares. What does that say about me?
8. Loving God and loving other people is all that matters. Clothes are just for covering our nakedness and preventing hypothermia or sunburn.