Pascha on my Mind

One of the things that stirs in my heart at this time of year, when we are surrounded by the beauty of the fall leaves, the cooling of the air, the coming of winter, is Pascha.

It's a chain reaction, really. But lately that's where my thoughts keep turning. It feels like Pascha is just around the corner. No, I didn't say Christmas, I really did say Pascha.

In the singsong crunch of the dying leaves I keep hearing "Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death and upon those in the tomb bestowing life."

I'm looking forward to the Nativity Fast, to be quite honest, and every year it is the same: The Nativity fast is like a roller-coaster swoop towards the feast of feasts, and the feast of the Nativity is just a curve on the way and one swoop after that and we are arrived at Holy Week.

Pascha! The Pascha of our Lord! Frome death into life! A new and holy Pascha, a great Pascha. A Pascha worthy of veneration, a Pascha which will open to us paradise...

Comments

elizabeth said…
Yes. Me too. Christmas has been called the Winter Pascha and with good reason; I long for Pascha too; Lord have mercy on us.
Anonymous said…
Last year on the morning of Nativity at the Divine Liturgy, when we began to sign the festal troparion, my five year old daughter looked at me and said, "Mommy, Pascha is coming!"

I know EXACTLY what you mean.
Anna said…
First time on the Trolley for me! :D