In Front of My Closet

I woke up late this morning, with only a few minutes to decide what to wear to Church. I was fervently wishing I already had those two brown dresses hanging in my closet and that there would be no such decision to make.

But they have not been ordered yet, and so this morning, I had to decide what to wear. I think I laid out at least three differnt combos of skirts and tops before settling on something that didn't quite go together. I'm so sick of the overabundant hodgepodge, and the worry that plagues me about what I'll look like.

And I realized in that moment, that when Jesus said "Don't worry about what you will wear", perhaps, he wasn't JUST talking about nakedness. Perhaps he was also commanding me NOT TO FRET.

I am really looking forward to getting those two brown dresses soon. Two, because I'm a walking disaster zone and I need a back up. Seriously.

Update: I ordered the dresses. When they come, I'll post the parameters of my experiment. Meanwhile, I'm going to start saying goodbye (for now, or for a longer while????) to some of the clothes in my closet.

Comments

Elysa said…
Lisa Samson steered me to your post. I can so relate. I get sentimentally attached to my things.

One thing that has helped me get rid of stuff is to donate it to ministries that I believe in. I've also sold a lot of it thru local consignment stores and given the money to various missionaries and ministries in Swaziland, Africa, a nation I'm passionate about.

I tell you that not to brag but just to say that this is a way I've been able to let go of all the extra.

Okay, not ALL the extra, but I'm working on it bit by bit.

It's been painful at times. I cried when I turned in my childhood records to the consignment store. But little bit by little bit, I'm hopefully looking more and more like Jesus.
Anonymous said…
I can't wait to read more about this. Can you post a link to the dresses?