Chicken Sunday

I bought a pastured chicken from the farmer's market on Saturday, and for Sunday dinner I roasted it in the oven, stuffed with some apple chunks, and some fresh basil under the skin, with olive oil drizzled over. Green beans, carrots and onions accompanied it on the roaster pan and into the oven.

Just like the grass fed beef tasted beefier, this chicken tasted chickeny-er, if that's possible. Very hard to describe. Chickeny-er is the best I can do.

I remember reading about something in French History, about someone (might have been either the goal of Napoleon, or the French Revolutionaries...can't quite recall) saying that their goal for the nation was a chicken in every pot on Sunday. I remember being astonished that perhaps a chicken would be enough for a week's worth of meat for a family.

But perhaps it is we who eat far too much meat? Out of that one chicken (about 3.5 pounds), I think our family will get at least three, if not four meals off the meat, and then all the bones, leftover veggies and an extra onions went into the crock pot with some vinegar and some water as soon as dinner was over, so I could make some chicken stock to get all the nutrients out of the bones.

When I strain it, I'll freeze the broth and throw the veggie and bone gunk out. All the good stuff will be in the broth by then.

I find that I really really like having stock on hand in the freezer. It makes quick nourishing lunch time soups so very easy to do. Just pop that frozen block (or blocks) into the pot, throw in some veggies and in just a few minutes, soup's on!

Sally Fallon, in Nourishing Traditions, tells of the protein sparing effect of having bone broth in one's diet. With a good broth, every little animal protein is needed to complete what is needed, and properly soaked beans can make that broth go a long way.

That being said, I still have some beef laid out for dinner tonight. Beefy pasta something sounds good, I think.

Comments

margaret said…
My bubbie always got three meals per chicken: the roast itself, rissoles and soup. I don't eat meat and I wouldn't know chickene-ry if it pecked me on the nose but I do know a Scottish woman and an American woman who both turn into absolute carnivores in Italy because both meat and poultry taste real to their 50+ tastebuds. For all our food programmes, mags, books and snobbery I do think there's something wrong with Brits and Americans that hasn't gone wrong in southern Europe yet.
Alana said…
I agree.
Athanasia said…
I, too, get several meals out of one chicken, along with soup.

I enjoy Thanksgiving because I get gallons of soup stock into the freezer post T-day.