It's Leftover Chicken Night

I really don't mean for this to be a food blog. Really I don't. A life blog...and food is a part of life. Sometimes I truly wish it weren't. I have brief fantasies about becoming an airetarian which get firmly squelched on a weekly basis, thanks to the Eucharistic fast.

But I digress.

It's leftover Chicken night in Orthodox homes all around the world. Not officially, but I bet you dollars to donuts...

See, here's the logic: It's so hot, that a pasta salad would be nice. It's not a fasting day, so I might as well throw some of this leftover chicken that's stashed in the freezer into the salad, since it's just a little bit, not really enough for everyone to have a full portion otherwise.

But then I remember: Wednesday is fasting. Thursday is non-fasting, and then there's the two week long Dormitian Fast starting on Friday.

So it would not be smart to make a huge giant vat of chicken pasta salad, now would it? Because the point would be, to finish it off before we all get food poisoning from it having been in the fridge too long.

The leftover chicken will still get eaten, but it is definitely ON THE SIDE.

Tonight's pasta salad:

1 cut up zucchini
1 small red onion, chopped
1 small jar of marinated artichoke hearts
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 can of black beans, rinsed
1 box of rotini pasta, cooked and cooled
All the red wine vinegar left in the bottle (1/2 cup, perhaps?)
1/4 cup oil.
italian spices.
pepper
salt.
some more salt...

...even more salt.

I think I'm sweating muchly, because today I had a peach with salt on it, and it was very very good. And I'm craving salty crackers, etc.

I want to MOVE, so I can get someplace with CENTRAL AIR CONDITIONING!!!!!!!!!!!

(sorry for the lameness of this post...)

Comments

Monica said…
We had leftover chicken today!!!!
Has said…
I appreciate food posts. My fabulous Ken Hom cookbook, The Taste of China (great for vegans by the way) says that rural Chinese spend around a third of their day preparing food. So I say up to a third of your posts being about food wouldn't be amiss.
Anonymous said…
We had chicken too, but not leftover. I found a HUGE chicken breast on sale at Kroger and plan to use it for many meals to come. It was really yummy!