Weighing in on the whole "Pregnant Man" thing...

...this is nothing to do with biology or a miracle or anything. After all, this person who is having a child has, lemme see....TWO X chromosomes, a vagina and a uterus, and until suffering an ectopic pregnancy recently, two ovaries, fallopian tubes...all the girly bits, except for the breast which had to be surgically removed.

So, a woman is calling herself a "man". Yentl lives!

The only reason the media (Oprah) has made a deal of this is that someone, somewhere, has an agenda to push the idea that there is a difference between biological sex and this something something we call "gender". Ya think?!?!

Is there, or isn't there? A difference between sex and gender, that is...

I tend to be conservative on these sorts of things.

I wonder how long it will take before this discussion filters into the churches and becomes the hot topic there? I give it five to ten years, and mainstream protestant churches will have yet another thing on their dockets to rant and rave and about and to split over. Or perhaps it is already happening and I'm just out of the loop?

Are there the occasional messed up people out there? Yes, of course. That's what therapy is for. Or repentance.

What about, after-all, the notion that we are creatures, created by God? The idea that we do not belong to ourselves because we did not make ourselves.

And if we are our own, then all bets are off and there just aren't any boundaries to anything anymore, and we have a nation having discussions about a legally-defined-man-who-is-a-woman having a baby.

That, in my view, is what this is ultimately all about.

Comments

gemma said…
Reminds me of a documentary from years ago about a woman who was altered and was surely manly looking but they left something behind and he was dying from ovarian cancer. His life partner was a man who was turning into a woman and they were rhapsodizing about how love is so wonderful etc etc. So basically we wind up with a heterosexual couple who just took the long way around to get to that. Did that make sense? Well that documentary has never ceased to cause me to talk in circles. It was called "Southern Comfort".
Mimi said…
True, that. I have been surprised at the story as well.
elizabeth said…
Lord have mercy. Thank God that we have the Church and the Scriptures; at least these are sane...
Alana said…
O, Lord, save Thy people....
Anonymous said…
I feel a little uncomfortable in what seems the ladies club. But I saw the "Coffee" thing. Anyway appreciate a shared concern. I'm a former Prot. pastor, AF & Army chaplain. Now, 14 yrs, Orthodox. Having a bone-rattling discourse with a very bright, well-read, Calvinist minister. Blogging a month. Thanks. forestphilosopher.blogtoolkit.com
Unknown said…
I actually caught sight of this headline on People magazine in the checkout aisle today...something to the effect of Meet the Pregnant Man. My first thought, honestly, was that I had glanced at a tabloid by mistake, it sounded like their sort of thing. I did a retake, nope, its People magazine. Oh! I said to myself, I bet its an article about expectant fatherhood in the 21st century. That sounded much more believable to me. And I dismissed it from my thoughts until I saw your blog. Now I'm thinking of the chaotician from Jurassic Park who warns that "nature will out" or something. How true. We are what we are down to the DNA of each and every cell. Until they can change that then all the rest is surgery and semantics.
Alana said…
Oh no, please don't feel uncomfortable! I welcome the gentlemen here. It's just that my blog is often less than bone-rattling and muchly domestic and therefore probably boring to many guys.

I will check out your blog forthwith, after I pour myself another cup of coffee!!!!