Reading this Week

Just finished: _A Return to Modesty: Discovering the Lost Virtue_ by Wendy Shalit. (I believe this author has a new book out called _Girls Gone Mild_, as well.) I LOVED this book. It is a scholarly and insightful critique of our culture. For me, as a woman, it really put some focus on vague feelings of discomfort that I've carried with me for years, but have had trouble putting my finger on. I would say it is a "must read" for anyone over the age of 18, men and women alike. Lots to think about.

And in stark contrast, a few weeks ago I read _Bridget Jones's Diary_ which embodies, ironically, the epitome of all that Shalit pundits against in her writings on modesty. (Can "pundit" be used as a verb? I did, so I guess it can....)

Also recently completed: _Virus Hunter_ by C.J. Peters. If you liked _Hot Zone_, you will like this autobiographical book by a scientist who regularly traveled to hot zones all over the world to hunt down viruses, work on epidemiology and do the lab work so that we humans can better understand these disease causing not-quite-creatures. Eeeewwww, Ebola! Gives me the shivers!

Currently Reading: _Orthodox Dogmatic Theology_ by Father Michael Pomazansky and translated by Hieromonk Seraphim Rose. This one looks good. I started it this morning so I'm not very far into it. The language is simple and approachable, though. Not one of those theology books that deliberately is so obtuse as to render it unreadable.

Next Up: _A Higher Form of Killing: The SEcret Story of Chemical and Biological Warfare_, by Robert Harris and Jeremy Paxman. This one will dovetail well with _Virus Hunter_, since Peters often referred to the Bio-weapons program that our government had going on during much of the Cold War. I suppose it will fall into the 20th century history category.

I set aside Xenophon's _The Persian Expedition_. I dream of being the type of person who delights in reading the ancients, but so far I must admit that I struggle to actually do so.

But as much as I'd like to snuggle down with a good book, I have to finish sewing this Pascha dress and get some exercise this afternoon. There is always tonight, I guess.

Comments

I loved "Hot Zone".
I will look out for "Virus Hunter"; it is the sort of book I would enjoy.
Thanks for the tip !
Has said…
Return to Modesty is one of the best books I've ever read. You might also like (especially with teenage daughters) "The Body Project" by Joan Jacobs Brumberg. I loved that and found it enlightening in a similar way to Shalit's book, although it's very different.
Alana said…
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.