Some Pumpkin Recipes

Selena also was wanting a Pumpkin Cheesecake recipe, since she had an overabundant pumpkin crop this summer. (Imagine that...it is summer down under! Such thoughts fill me with unaccountable glee as I slog through cold and snow....)

But before I post a desert recipe, I HAVE to post this one, since it is SOOOOO GOOD! and for my Orthodox brothers and sisters, it fits the lenten bill just fine, too.

Pumpkin Clam Chowder

1 onion, chopped
a handful of carrots, chopped
celery if you have it on hand, chopped (I usually don't)

Chop and sautee these. Add about 2-3 cups of frozen pre-cooked pumpkin. And a couple of cups of either water with veggie boullion or vegetable broth. Drain off the juice of two cans of clams and add that as well. Salt and Pepper to taste. Let simmer until all is tender and hot.

Chop the clams, meanwhile. BEFORE adding the clams, run the veggie mixture through a blender. This makes it nice and smooth. Pour it back into the pot and add the clams.

Heat up again.

All I can say about this recipe is: YUM! YUM! YUM! Of course crusty bread is the perfect accompaniment.
'

Pumpkin Cake Fix

To make a cake mix lower in fat and calories, take about 14 oz. of pumpkin, either canned or pre-cooked, and mix it with the dry mix powder. Do NOT add the required eggs or oil. Bake according to directions.

If you use chocolate, or a spice cake or carrot cake mix, the pumpkin is indistinguishable in the recipe. Even my veggie hating son will eat them, since he can't taste the pumpkin.


Pumpkin Cheesecake

24 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup extra fine ricotta cheese
1 3/4 cup splenda or sugar
15 oz. pure pumpkin
pumpkin pie spices in unknown quanity (I forgot to copy this part into the recipe booklet my guess would be 1 tsp each of cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.)
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs
3 egg yolks

400 degree farenheit oven with 1" water bath heating.

spray 8" springform pan with cooking spray.

Mix 2 minutes on low: cream cheese, ricotta, pumpkin, splenda and spice

In separate bowl whisk remaining ingredients. With mixer on medium, slowly pour egg mixture into cheese mixture, until just blended.

Pour batter into springform pan and place in water bath. Reduce heat to 275 F. after 15 minutes. Bake for 2 hours until cake is light golden brown and edges are pulling away from the pan. Turn off the oven and let it cool in the oven for 3 hours. This will prevent the cake from falling.

Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving.

This is not my invention. I think it's from a George Stella Cookbook, and I hope I don't get sued for posting it here.

Comments

Joyful Days said…
You are a woman after my heart. I love pumpkin...possibly more than chocolate--but not quite as much as a good merlot. Recipes look wonderful.

Thanks,

Julie
Athanasia said…
Thank you for providing the main dish for the Sunday I have Coffee Hour during Lent! I am sooooo using that Pumpkin Clam soup recipe. I wonder if I could use canned pumpkin? I may need to experiment ahead of time.

Thanks!!!
Has said…
Thanks Alana!

I'm not sure I can buy cans of clams here in Australia.

Don't get too envious of Aussie summer. Most days hit the high 30 degrees (celsius) and we're in a terrible drought, so we are not allowed to water our gardens (well, only once a week, and NO sprinklers allowed) and all over the country we have dry, crackly gardens and parks. That really sucks.

Thanks for your hasty response! I'll start using up my pumpkin stores and enquiring about clams. If I use fresh clams (more likely to find those, I think) how much would I use?

I didn't realise shellfish were OK during Lent. All throughout Lent, or just at specific times?

Selena.

PS I'm an "Orthodox inquirer"! hence the ignorance about fasting.
Alana said…
I used canned pumpkin today in the soup and it was great. I also threw in some pureed white beans to thicken things up a bit. Yum.
Alana said…
Clams: I'd use at least a pound. More if you like your chowder meatier...clammier, whatever.
Has said…
Hi Alana,
I tried the cheesecake recipe and it tasted great but was soggy because I think the water leaked in through the bottom of the pan. Did I get it right - pour into springform pan, and put pan in the water?
Cheers
Selena.