Something that Works

Chocolate Cake Mix...Spice cake would work well, too. A can of plain pumpkin. Join these two together. Divide into muffin tins, or bake in a cake pan. I used my new silicone muffin pan that turns out perfect muffins every time.

You can't taste the pumpkin, they are moist and delicious and MUCH lower in fat and calories than the regular way to do a cake mix. I used a Pillsbury Reduced Sugar cake mix. Chocolate of course.

Three points if you are doing weight watchers.

Egg free if you care about lenten cooking.

Extra nutrients from the pumpkin if you care about sneaking veggies into picky kids by hook or by crook.

Now that I've successfully done it with a mix, my goal is to do it at home from scratch. How chocolaty can I make it and sneak extra nutrition in?..flax meal, pumpkin, some bean paste perhaps?...BWAHAHAHAHA!

Comments

gemma said…
Sounds great but you lost me on the bean paste.
Alana said…
Just a way to get some more lenten protein into my son's carb-lovin' dairy addicted self.
Anonymous said…
Actually, I (Tabitha) have a recipe (courtesy of Bette Hegman) for a very moist and yummy chocolate cake (which happens to be gluten-free and dairy-free) whose secret ingredient is cooked and pureed lentils! Ironically though, it is not lenten. I must say, I really like the idea of sneaking in the pumpkin puree and the flaxseed meal!
Tamara said…
Sounds yummy! I've heard of mixing it with applesauce before, too. So there's nothing else to add? Cook according to directions on the box? I want to try it!
Laura said…
What size can of pumpkin? I'm going to try this...probably tomorrow...
Alana said…
It's a 15 oz. can of plain pumpkin. I tried a corn bread mix with the pumpkin today. In the oven right now. I'll report back on the results when I have them. Had to add some water to make is moister.