Dropping the Gauntlet

I can't remember precisely what Father Justin said last week in his homily, but something in me clicked, and I got one of those Holy Spirit nudges: I need to be reading the Gospels/Scriptures more, in greater proportion to my other (very light and very brain-candyish) entertainment reading.

So I resolved: To read a Gopsel (I may change that to book of the Bible at some point) after each non-Scripture book I read. In other words: Crappy fiction, Gospel According to Matthew. Crappy Fiction. Gospel According to Mark. Crappy fiction. Gospel According to Luke. Crappy Fiction. etc.

Currently I'm already on John. And I've actually not read as voraciously as I usually do this week because I have been spending some time ramping up with the Weight Watcher's info.

But over all, I think this is going to be good for me.

I've been having this thought this week, that we spend time with what we love, and it is certainly possible to make a rational "this-is-my-will" type of decision about feeding the good. We are not slaves to our passions, after all, and it IS possible to cultivate a taste for things divine, even when tempted to do otherwise. But I"ve also learned enough about my own heart to know that I have to go slow, and build brick upon brick, inch by inch. Otherwise I crash and burn.

God have mercy on me a sinner.

Comments

Mimi said…
What a very good idea.