The One thing Needful

God.

I've been reading through the book of Isaiah lately...large multiple chapter chunks in somewhat random order. I sit down, grab my Bible, and get lost in those words.

In a way it is fitting to do this week, since it was the prophet Isaiah who told us that there would be a forerunner, and it is the forerunner's forerunning that we remember today in the Church.

But oh, the heart of God expressed in Isaiah just leaves me dumfounded and overwhelmed by His love!: "Hearken to me, O house of Jacob, all the remnant of the house of Israel, who have been borne by me from your birth, carried from the womb; even to your old age I am He, and to gray hairs I will carry you. I have made and I will bear; I will carry and I will save." -Is. 46:3-4

Such words! "I have made and I will bear; I will carry and I will save." just keep going through my head over and over again, like a Michael Card song. (Perhaps it already is a Michael Card song...)

"And the ransomed of the Lord shall return, and come to Zion with singing; everlasting joy shall be upon their heads; they shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

I, I am he that comforts you; who are you that you are afraid of man who dies, of the son of man who is made like glass, and have forgotten the Lord, your Maker, who stretched out the heavens and laid the foundations of the earth..." Isaiah 51:11-13

I don't really know what else to say about this, except that God is giving me His comfort these days in ways that I never thought I'd see.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you for the reminder. I needed it.
Tabitha