Something to Say

The other day, someone posted a thingy on Facebook that said: "Having religion is like having a penis. You can be proud of your penis, you can like your penis, but please don't pull it out in public, talk about it, and please don't shove it down my children's throats." (not an exact quote...but that's the gist of it).

OK, so I've been thinking of this for two days. Here's my response:

My religion is like my nose.
It's right in the middle of my face, and everyone can see it.
It keeps me alive and helps me to breathe.
I probably won't talk about it, but it is there, a part of who I am, and I won't avoid mentioning it if the subject comes up.
It is a part of who I am and I won't apologize for it.
But since I'm not God, I won't go sticking my nose into other people's business, either.

Comments

Liadain said…
Amen.
margaret said…
I like it! (your version)
rhysharper said…
This is great, Alana. I'm a friend of your moms and I read your blog sometimes. I also live in chronic pain, so I really enjoyed that post you made recently, too.

-Rhys Harper
Xenia Kathryn said…
Wow, that first one is so vulgar. I'm glad you thought of such a clever (and VERY true!) alternative!

:D
Grace said…
I *love* that answer! That whole thing about "keep your religion private" is just baloney.
Anonymous said…
Love it! As Christians we are called to witness and live our lives as though Jesus is one of our cherished friends (as well as Saviour!).
Has said…
I really like that. So clever and gracious at the same time.
Selena