The Woman and the Wheat-Book Review



I'm so glad I have the opportunity to reveiw this wonderful book here on my blog. The Woman and the Wheat, by Jane G. Meyer, is a story about a woman who tills the soil, who plants wheat, who waits patiently...in the style of many classic "this is the process of how it's done" children's books, the seed's life cycle is traced, from planting, through harvest, milling, bread baking and culminating in it being offered up in the Eucharist.

The style of writing in this book is very poetic, and almost musical, without being pedantic or sing-songy. And the illustrations are absolutely breathtaking, with rich color and unifying elements throughout (a very charming dog, for instance.)

I would say this book would appeal to pre-schoolers the most, as a read aloud. But when I walked in a room where my kids were, opened the book and started reading it out loud, it grabbed everyone's attention and the book had an audience-even though my kids are 10, 11, 13 and 15 years old.

God parents: This book would make an ideal Christmas or Pascha gift for your young god child.

It is available for sale at SVS Press.

Comments

Anna said…
Sounds like an artsy Little Red Hen Tale.
Mimi said…
I LOVED it too! I agree with your review.