A Journey Towards Simplicity: The Rules

Ok, so here are the parameters of my "One Dress" experiment (which is actually two dresses that are identical which I will rotate for laundry purposes):

1. I will wear this Spice Brown Land's End dress exclusively as my day wear (that includes to Church on Sundays, parties, weddings, funerals, etc.) for 30 days, with one exception: I have to wear my American Heritage Girls Leader uniform when I am attending AHG meetings. This consists of a blue AHG logo polo shirt and a khaki skirt or pants.

2. I will feel free to use various scarves, sweaters, jackets to accessorize the dress, but I won't be striving to come up with a vastly different look throuhgout the month.

3. This is an exercise in simplicity, not in fashion. I'm hoping that this "fast" will be a spiritual fast, and will teach me some things about myself and lead me into the light of repentance in some areas. I'll let God lead me.

4. During this 30 day period I will refrain from going out and purchasing any accessories, but I do reserve the option of knitting...and if I happen to knit a scarf or somesuch...well then.

5. I will post some photos on my blog, but since this isn't a "how creative can I get with accessories project", I don't think a daily photo is necessary.

6. I promise to blog honestly about my thoughts and feelings (don't I always just tell it like it is?...that's my gift) during this project. I don't promise they will all be positive.

7. I reserve the right to extend this project/fast (the Nativity fast is coming up, so things might go until Christmas, you know) if it proves spiritually beneficial to me. 30 days is my minimum commitment, though.


OK, folks, that's what I'm doing. I am expecting my package to arrive from Land's End tomorrow. If so, then I'll be starting on Saturday. For the duration of this project, most of my clothes will be bagged up (except things like cardigans and leggings and a pair of sweat pants that I might wear under the dress to go walking in the cold).

I'm not doing this for ecological reasons, or to be cool. I'm doing this as a journey of self-discovery and for the health of my own soul...into the desert, if you will. Pray for me.

Comments

Anna said…
will pray! :-)
Unknown said…
I so wish that I could do this too. So I will be doing this vicariously through you. I know that you can do this, as I have all the faith in you.
elizabeth said…
my love and small prayers.
Hezra said…
I am doing this too, but with STUFF. I am getting rid of everything not necessary in my home and life. And too, for a spiritual awakening and growth. I want to get back to the basics. I will pray for you too.
Anonymous said…
Just out of interest, what will you be doing in terms of head covering for this 'fast'?

My best wishes and prayers with you!

x M.
Anonymous said…
Love this.
Mimi said…
Sounds good! Love and prayers.
kiera said…
great idea!

I might just do something similar ... see my blog for this week ...
Pres. Kathy said…
Interesting idea - good luck.
Martha said…
Honestly, I'm so vain, I don't think I could do it...go to school and seeing parents and other teachers, what would they say? If I were at home, all day, I'd be okay.