Home School Advice from Someone Who's not New at it Anymore

I"m staring my fourth year in a row of HSing. Here's what I have learned so far:

-You will get really busy leading up to Christmas and it will be very hard to concentrate on School work...

-And you might feel rather burned out in January/February.

-I've learned it's OK to scrap a curriculum half way through the year if it makes everyone cry. Even if it's an expensive curriculum.

-I've learned that kids learn amazing things just from reading good books and writing narrations. ...

-And no matter how many times you panic, if the kids are reading, they are learning.

-If they are helping you in the kitchen, they are learning,

-if they are living life along side you they are learning.

-Exploring, being creative, being themselves=learning.

And that's how you get your 180 days out of 365 days. ;-)

Comments

Christmas, Jan/Feb, and then spring fever hits. I think they are tough times for everyone, student or not, homeschool or not.
Anonymous said…
Regarding curriculum- it's meant to be tweaked- and ALL teachers do it. As long as one is covering the content and kids are learning, that's the important thing.