How I make Waffles

Marfa asks. I answer. I don't measure much of anything.

The night before my waffle making stint I soak about four cups of whole wheat flour in some water and about half a cup of whey. I don't measure anything. It should be thick-ish so that when I add the other ingredients, the next day, it's not too thinnish.

Next morning, add three or four eggs, a heaping tablespoon of baking powder and some coconut oil, blend it well.

It will be thinnish, but not too thin. A thinnish batter makes a lighter, crispier waffle.

Bake in waffle maker. Three and a half minutes in my case. You don't want them too dark as they will get toasted later. Let waffles cool, then freeze them.

It works better to freeze them on a flat tray and then put them in bags, otherwise they stick together. Ask me how I know. I broke a nail trying to pry them apart this morning. Sigh.

I usually toast them twice to get them thawed then hot.

Very good with maple syrup (or something sugar free in my case...I actually found a sugar free maple flavor syrup that's just maltitol and NOT splenda or aspartame the other day, at Whole Foods. Thrilled.)

Pre-soaking the grains, using whey and of course coconut oil and pastured eggs is all in line with Nourishing Traditions type of cooking/eating.

Comments

elizabeth said…
nice! good homemade food... that's really great!
Martha said…
sounds so good...I love that you don't measure...thickish, thinnish...and soaking the flour overnight in the whey, sounds just like what Sally Fallon would say (my sis has that book...maybe I should get my own copy)! THANKS!
Anonymous said…
Mmm... sounds yummy. Doesn't using wholewheat flour make the waffles quite dense, though?
Alana said…
Not really at all. Pre-soaking the flour helps, and having the batter on the thinner side helps too.

I find that the difference between soaked and unsoaked whole wheat flour is profound. Soaked is lighter.